Crushing Our Rights to Benefit Billionaires
Instead of seeking justice, Koch-network judges are hell-bent on protecting the interests of big corporations and the rich and making America less fair and less equal.
Republicans install judges selected for their extreme pro-corporate views. They usually side with big business, no matter what.
They don’t care about people’s rights to safety, healthcare, vacations, sick days, or retirement benefits, nor about protecting the environment.
These judges often crush the rights of:
These judges are hostile to:
- protecting the environment against toxic pollution that harms the health of millions of people and kills tens of thousands
- consumer’s and worker’s rights to sue
- any laws to fight climate change
Very often, they are also hostile to:
- women’s rights to make their own health care decisions on contraception and abortion
- gun safety laws
- black people & other ethnic minorities
- gay, bisexual, & transsexual people
- civil rights
Many of them have records of working hard to eliminate protections for workers, clean air, and clean water and to eliminate access to health care.
Many of them have also fought to allow religious discrimination against LGBT people and to restrict access to contraception and abortion.
Now our Republican politicians and newest judges want to dismantle federal agencies like the Environmental Protection Agency, an idea considered insane just ten years ago.
Trump has already appointed 1 in 4 federal judges. And now 60% of our federal judges previously worked as corporate lawyers.
We need to nominate more public defenders, union and labor lawyers, environment lawyers, and civil rights lawyers to the federal benches and less Big Law partners.
Extreme, Pro-Wealth Judges Now Dominate Our Supreme Court
Our Supreme Court now has a majority of extreme, conservative judges closely associated with the Koch-network allied Federalist Society—Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito Jr., John Roberts, Neil Gorsuch, and Brett Kavanaugh.
- These judges often call themselves originalists, pretending to view the law only the way our Founding Fathers did when writing the Constitution.
- This is a carefully planned, massive scam. Instead, these judges ignore the true core values of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence.
The Founding Fathers would gag if they knew what was going on now.
From 2005 to 2018, the Roberts-led Supreme Court made 73 decisions benefitting their billionaire Koch coalition:
- letting corporations spend unlimited money in elections
- denying Medicaid coverage to millions of working poor people
- sabotaging minority voting rights
- crippling unions and the right of labor to organize
- destroying pollution regulations and environmental protections
- denying workers and consumers the right to sue companies in court (with forced arbitration contracts)
- established an individual right to own gun rights
Our Supreme Court wouldn’t even let Kentucky and West Virginia outlaw forced arbitration in nursing homes so that people could sue them for horrific abuse.
Now companies everywhere are eliminating your right to sue, skyrocketing the use of forced arbitration. A few examples include:
- telecommunications companies
- credit card companies
- insurance companies
- payday lenders
- rental car companies
- parking lots
- camps for children
- health insurance companies
- nursing homes
Our Supreme Court is increasingly willing to throw out decades of precedent and overturn established doctrines and settled law to please their billionaire donors and their coalition of voters.
- They threw out 50 years of established law in gutting the Voting Rights Act.
- They overturned 40 years of settled labor law in ruling against government worker’s unions right to organize.
- After decades of lobbying and media brainwashing by the National Rifle Association, the Supreme Court established an individual right to own guns.
- This terrible gun decision ignored centuries of precedent and practice and the opinions of most historians on the 2nd Amendment.
- Both Supreme Court Justices John Paul Stevens and Warren Burger attacked this gun decision, with Stevens calling for a repeal of the 2nd Amendment and Burger calling it “a fraud on the American public.”
© Copyright 2019 Peace & Harmony Press. All rights reserved.